One of our first steps for WordCamp OKC (just like any WordCamp) was finding a venue. This was a great opportunity for the OKC WordPress Users Group to work together and explore our city while researching the perfect site to host a WordCamp. Several members of our group have connections to places that could be options and it was interesting (though time-consuming) to consider all the sites brought to the table.
Members of our organizing team visited several sites, which helped us create and refine our wish list as we went. Just as we were feeling like the time to decide was upon us, one more venue became an option. One of our Meetup members is an instructor at Francis Tuttle Technology Center and suggested checking out their location for the WordCamp.
Very early in our visit to the Bruce Gray Center at their Portland Campus the three of us making the site visit knew that this was the place!
Here are some of the things that made it obvious this will be a great venue for our event:
- great location in town, easily accessible from major roads
- plenty of free parking right at the site
- all on ground level
- a conference room that has plenty of space for our sessions
- a big hallway for important “Hallway Track” visiting
- it has a catering kitchen for lunch and snack prep
- plenty of space for lunch
- Wi-Fi provided
- bathrooms and water fountains near the main event
- room for sponsor tables and swag
- vending machines available
We are honored to be hosted by Francis Tuttle Technology Center, and deeply appreciate their sponsorship of WordCamp OKC by providing a fantastic facility for our event.